An integrated approach to the treatment of osteochondrosis includes special gymnastics during the period of remission. Correct physical activity can be of invaluable help to the health of the spine.
Yoga asanas are most useful because they contain principles that coincide with the basic requirements for exercises for the spine:
- smoothness of movements,
- lack of jerks,
- moderate loads.
Yoga treatment for osteochondrosis
The disease begins with a deterioration in the condition of the disc, its dehydration and weakening of metabolic processes. The disc partially or completely loses its cushioning qualities, sags, deforms, a hernia may occur .
The disc has no circulatory system. In order for him to receive adequate nutrition, thoughtful loads on the spinal column are necessary. Blood circulation in the tissues around the disc is normalized and enables it to receive nutrition.
Deformation of the disc provokes a shift of the vertebrae, which leads to pinching of the radicular nerves. As a result, a painful focus arises, the organs that are controlled by these nerves suffer.
In the place of the problem, the muscles try to hold the spine, a spasm occurs. This situation can provoke pain and worsen the nutrition of the vertebrae and discs.
A closed system of problems is created, which aggravate each other and contribute to the progression of destructive processes. To break this circle, first, with medications, they relieve acute inflammation.
If you undergo a course of treatment and do not change anything in your lifestyle, then new exacerbations are inevitable.
To achieve sustainable results in improving your back health you need to:
- strengthen the muscle corset,
- relieve tension in the back, increase its mobility,
- improve the nutrition of discs and vertebrae by normalizing the blood supply to the surrounding tissues.
This effect can be achieved by practicing yoga systemically. In addition, a “side effect” is inevitable – strengthening overall health, increasing immunity, improving mood and personal qualities.
When can you do
- There is a limitation for exercise. During the acute phase of the disease, the spine is not shown to be loaded, asanas are not performed.
- The cervical region has many responsible nerve plexuses. Arteries that feed the brain run along the sides of the neck. This zone is characterized by the greatest mobility. All these factors indicate that it is better to do gymnastics for the cervical spine with the problem of osteochondrosis under the guidance of an experienced trainer. This will help direct the exercises to individual problems, adjust the direction in the course of training.
Recommended asanas for the spine
For each zone of the ridge, there are exercises that normalize its condition. Asana , intended for a single zone of the spine, usually act on fortifying the entire column.
Asanas are done smoothly, create good stretching of muscles and tendons. Exercises always have static loads, not dynamic ones. They create tension in certain parts of the body.
- Utthita trikonasana relieves the neck and other parts of the ridge. The lesson helps to strengthen the muscles in the legs, it is good for the hip joints. Helps to overcome slouching. Performed like this:
- You need to put a chair in front of you, facing the seat. Put one leg back, put the foot perpendicular to the other foot, the toe of which is directed forward.
- Hands are placed to the sides, a turn to the left is carried out. The hand, which is from the side that is closer to the chair, is lowered onto it with the palm, bending over and exhaling.
- The other hand is directed up.
- Freeze for 30 seconds. Control that breathing is calm.
- They create in the hand that the tension is raised up and, reaching for it, straighten up.
- The asana is done with the other leg.
- Exercise for back pain – Grasshopper Pose ( Shalabhasana ).
- Lie on your stomach. At the same time, the hands are brought together behind the back, making a lock.
- Legs are kept together.
- Create tension in the gluteal muscles.
- Twelve times they smoothly raise the chest and return to the floor, without lowering the head to it. Freeze in a lifting position, as far as strength is enough.
Benefits the entire spinal column, helps the displaced discs to take the correct position.
- Another version of the grasshopper pose. The zone of useful action is the entire spinal column, including the thoracic region. It helps the discs to take a natural position well. Starting position:
- lie with your chest on the floor, hands at the seams, palms up.
- The body is deflected with a yoke back simultaneously with exhalation. Raise the body and legs.
- Breathe evenly. They stay in the pose for up to a minute. Return to the supine position while inhaling.
There are many different sets of exercises. They create:
- stretching the ridge zones,
- promote muscle relaxation, smooth out spasms,
- give elasticity and strength to the muscles of the neck and back.
Makes beautiful posture. Contributes to the release of nerves pinched from osteochondrosis. It gives the spine flexibility and youthfulness. Strengthens the abs.
- Stance: body straight, legs together. Tighten the knees by pulling them up.
The spine is kept straight, the stomach is pulled in.
- Hands are connected with palms, lifting up through the sides. Stretch up behind the hands, focusing on the feet.
- Lower their arms to the sides.
- Fold with palms in front of the chest ( Namaste ). Breathe evenly. They stay in the pose for up to a minute.
Mountain Pose is the name of this exercise. Refers to asanas , vertical postures.
Stiffness in the shoulders is relieved. Forms the correct posture.
Strengthens the back muscle corset, tones the neck. Trains coordination and balance.
- Stance: on the right leg, the left foot is on the right thigh on the inner side. The knee is directed to the side. The arms are connected over the head, the elbows are not bent.
- The body is directed upward by the arms. To maintain balance, you can imagine yourself as a tree.
Asana strengthens qualities: develops self-discipline, makes the mind calm, fosters will.
Relieves muscle spasms. Helps correct slouching. Strengthens muscles. It is useful for sciatica.
- Stance: wide lunge with one leg forward. The knee is bent at a right angle. The other leg is not bent.
- The body is straight, turned towards the lunge. Straight arms are folded at the top.
- Breathe evenly. Stand in the pose for about 30 seconds. Then they straighten, lower their arms while inhaling and repeat the exercise with a lunge on the other leg.
Bhujangasana or Snake
It has a powerful effect on the body. Corrects stoop. Energizes. Eliminates back pain.
Helps discs that have departed from their natural position into place. Eliminates the acquired deformities from osteochondrosis. Regenerates the nervous system. It has a healing effect on internal organs. Relieves ridge stiffness.
- Pose: Lying on the floor, face down. Legs are kept together. The socks are pulled out. Knees tense.
- Inhale, rise on hands, pressing the pubis to the floor. Breathe evenly. Hold in position for 20 seconds.
- Creates tension in the muscles of the thighs and buttocks. After exhalation, lie flat on the floor. The asana is performed three more times.
Contraindications to exercise
Do yoga correctly with a trainer. The exercises are simple, but each has many nuances, on which the result depends.
Tadasana is not done if:
- digestive disorders
- overexertion of vision,
Vrikshasana can be done without fear, there are no contraindications.
Virabhadrasana is not appointed by the coach if:
- heart health problems
Snake Pose cannot be performed while carrying a child.
- In case of thyroid disorders, the chin should be kept towards the chest during the asana .
- If there is hypertension, do not bend in the cervical spine.