The spine plays the role of a pillar of support for the whole body, since it is subjected to all the stresses that a person encounters during his life.
One of the unpleasant and painful vertebral conditions is a spinal hernia, which, if treated negligently, can deprive a person of the joys of movement.
Complex therapy involves the use of physical exercises (more about them here), and this direction is considered the main component of therapy.
Hernial processes are manifested by the displacement of the disc into the spinal canal. The pain characteristic of a hernia in the initial stages can still be eliminated with the help of medications, but these funds do not give a therapeutic effect, providing only temporary relief.
If the approach to the treatment of a hernia is wrong, then the hernial processes are aggravated, the pathology progresses, complications develop. To prevent this from happening, they resort to daily exercise therapy workouts.
The main tasks of exercise therapy for a hernia of the spine
Hernial processes occur in those vertebrae that are characterized by increased activity.
Against the background of muscle tissue weakness, caused by inactivity and physical inactivity, a hernial protrusion forms in these places. Muscle weakness can also develop against the background of osteochondrosis lesions, obesity, age-related changes in tissues, etc.
Based on such reasons, a complex of tasks pursued by exercise therapy is taking shape:
- Elimination of muscle spasms, developing as a protective barrier, these spasms contribute to malnutrition and posture;
- Strengthening deep-lying dorsal muscle tissue in order to eliminate vertebral mobility;
- Restoring an even posture;
- Increasing the motor capabilities of the spine;
- Stretching of the spinal column in order to increase the interdiscal distance;
- Prevention of nerve pinching and the development of complications of hernial processes;
- Restoration of material exchange and blood supply processes.
Physical education rules
If there are no contraindications ( chronicity , exacerbation, pronounced soreness, etc.), then therapeutic and gymnastic training is shown , which, in combination with physiotherapy procedures, provide one hundred percent therapeutic results.
Therapeutic processes last for quite a long time, so you should not expect immediate results.
In addition, the effectiveness of exercise therapy is largely determined by the observance of certain rules:
- Hernial protrusions can form in any section and on any side of the spine. Because of this, you need to monitor your feelings, if pain arises with any movement – immediately give it up. Correctly selected therapeutic and gymnastic elements should cause a feeling of pleasant fatigue;
- The complex should start with the lightest movements, over time, the intensity and load increase;
- In the first few days, you cannot do sharp elements, twisting, jumping, so as not to injure the vertebrae;
- You can not engage in acute pain syndrome, you should first eliminate the soreness and only then start training;
- The result will not be immediate, several months should pass, during which the exercises will gradually restore blood supply, increase the strength of muscle tissues and stretch the spinal column;
- A rehabilitation specialist should be engaged in the selection of the necessary therapeutic exercise therapy complex.
Complexes of therapeutic exercises
Regular exercise therapy allows you to restore the previous strength of muscle tissues and motor coordination, thanks to the analgesic effect of endorphins in patients, the emotional and psychological background changes for the better.
For each department, individual therapeutic and physical training elements have been developed, which should be done regularly for maximum benefit.
For the cervical spine
Hernial processes in the cervical vertebrae often become the culprits of causeless headaches, suddenly changing pressure, dizziness.
With a similar localization of protrusions, the following exercise therapy elements should be done:
- Sit up straight, align your back. Perform head turns all the way, freeze, then relax;
- Sitting, relaxing your straight back, bend your head forward all the way with your chin on your chest;
- Sitting straight, take a deep breath and tilt your head back, as if looking at the ceiling. Fix for a few seconds and go back;
- Sitting with a straight back, bend your head to the sides, as if laying your head on your right or left shoulder. Fix for a while, then go back.
Do not allow the occurrence of any painful manifestations, since such symptoms can provoke a violation of cerebral circulation, cause sequestration, etc.
Hernial protrusions between the thoracic vertebrae are quite rare, which does not at all diminish the danger of this pathology and does not reduce the pain symptoms characteristic of such an ailment.
With such lesions, exercise therapy elements are recommended like:
- Diaphragmatic breathing;
- Raising the head from a lying position together with the tension of the muscle tissues of the press;
- Performing upward bends from the “on all fours” position;
- Swinging the press in the usual way;
- Raising the legs from a prone position;
- Pressing the legs to the chest from a horizontal position;
- Lifting the torso while lying on the stomach.
Exercising every day can help relieve symptoms and soreness.
Lumbosacral hernia is accompanied by soreness, sensory disorders, reflex disorders in the limbs, muscle wasting, etc.
To reduce symptoms, the following movements are recommended:
- Having taken a horizontal position, it is necessary to stretch the limbs along the body. Perform slow lifts of the pelvic region, resting your feet and shoulder blades on the floor. Measure at the top, and then relax. First, the pelvis is raised by 10-15 cm, then the rise is increased to 20 cm. In addition, the time for which should be measured at the maximum upper point is also increased;
- Sitting horizontally on the floor, pull your knees to the chest and grasp them tightly so that some tension is felt in the spine;
- Get on your knees, then sit down, placing your buttocks on your heels. Stretch forward with your arms until your chest is on your knees. Moreover, the buttocks should not come off the heels, and the heels should not come off the floor;
- Having settled down to bend your legs horizontally. Make head lifts while stretching your arms forward. Having risen about 20 cm, freeze for half a minute, then go back.
Performing physiotherapy complexes, do not forget about contraindications. Exercise therapy training is contraindicated in malignant tumors and insufficient blood supply to the brain, thrombosis, progressive cardiac pathologies, etc.
In addition, training must be carried out on a regular basis, complicating and expanding the complex with new movements.