Osteochondrosis lesions of the neck are quite common today, and in relatively young patients. Due to pinched nerves or disc displacement, patients experience headaches and heart pains, dizziness, etc.
Such a pathology is very dangerous, since it can lead to disorders in brain activity due to insufficient blood circulation. In addition, such pinching can cause a lot of disturbances in the activity of internal organs.
What is the role of exercise in cervical osteochondrosis
At the initial stages of the development of pathology, with the help of training, many complications can be avoided and the maximum development of corset muscle tissues can be achieved.
The elements that are recommended for patients with osteochondrosis cervical lesions are the result of the work of many specialists. They are designed to stop further destruction of the vertebrae and tissues in between.
The main purpose of such training is to strengthen the muscle and ligamentous corset. As a result, exercise therapy for cervical osteochondrosis is observed:
- Reduced vertebral load;
- Termination of further development of pathology;
- Preventive action, excluding the development of possible complications;
- Increased mobility of the cervical vertebrae;
- The processes associated with the metabolism of substances essential for the body are activated;
- The metabolism of damaged tissues is accelerated;
- The tissues around the affected vertebrae begin to receive more nutrition by improving their blood supply, which is also normalized in the vertebrae and discs between them.
Many blood lines pass through the cervical vertebrae, supplying brain tissue with food and oxygen. As a result of dystrophic transformations, the nerve-root and spinal tissues are traumatized , while training helps to eliminate such injuries.
Especially complicated preliminary preparations for training are not necessary. Although some rules are still recommended to be observed, which will have a beneficial effect on the general condition of the patient and increase the benefits of exercise:
- Do not start training without first warming up the joints and muscle tissue. For this, it will be useful to vigorously stretch the neck muscles. There should be no pain or other discomfort as a result of training. It is useful to carry out such massage movements not only before training, but also throughout the day;
- A hot shower perfectly prepares the muscles for workouts, in addition, it relieves most symptoms and spasms ;
- Practice shows that such activities are very effectively combined with swimming. Regular procedures in the pool significantly increase the positive dynamics and effectiveness of classes; in addition, swimming procedures stretch the spinal column;
- Low-intensity aerobic exercise and daily walking are a positive complement to your workout.
The main contraindications
Exercise therapy exercises have an invaluable beneficial effect on the course of the disease, but not all patients are shown such a therapeutic technique:
- Physiotherapy is not recommended for patients if it causes pain, even if it is minor;
- At the stage of aggravated osteochondrosis;
- In the presence of influenza, respiratory illness or other inflammatory infection that has caused an exacerbation of the condition, classes are contraindicated.
Tips for homework
According to most experts, exercise will be most effective when done in the evening or in the morning. This exercise helps to activate the metabolic processes and blood flow in the cervical vertebrae and prevent blood formation .
If possible, it is recommended to do the exercises as often as possible, especially for those patients whose activities are associated with a long stay in some kind of static position. Several head turns, bends, and rubbing movements over the course of several minutes will significantly reduce pain and improve blood flow.
In order for the productivity of the exercises to be as high as possible, you must follow some rules:
- Before starting classes, it is recommended to prepare your muscles – do a light warm-up or take a hot shower;
- You should not overpower yourself, ignoring the pain, and perform a certain number of elements. If a sensation of pain appears, then this indicates a deterioration in the condition of the vertebrae and an increase in nervous pinching;
- If you feel uncomfortable, then you need to take a break for a few minutes. If in the future such an element again brings pain, then you need to abandon it;
- Watch the movements – they should be performed in a slow mode, sharpness can provoke pain;
- Control your posture – your shoulders back and your chest forward – this will reduce nerve-root compression, eliminate trauma and increase the therapeutic effect;
- It is recommended that you periodically try to do painful exercises. If they no longer cause the former pain, then this indicates a progress in treatment;
- Perform the elements of throwing back and rotating the head with great care to prevent increased compression of the nerves with a further worsening of symptoms;
- In case of a sudden onset of pain, turns and tilts of the head to the sides are excellent;
- Any exercise must be approved by an exercise therapy specialist.
What types of exercise therapy should be done?
The complex of exercise therapy elements involves the implementation of dynamic and isometric exercises.
The former are distinguished by their motor activity and are recommended in the remission period. The isometric complex should be done in moments of exacerbations of the disease, it does not imply physical activity and allows you to get rid of pain.
Treatment technique according to Bubnovsky
Dr. Bubnovsky developed a therapeutic technique based on the use of the reserves of the human body to fight the disease. It was called kinesitherapy .
This method of treatment has proven itself well in the treatment of musculoskeletal pathologies. Dr. Bubnovsky has developed a series of exercises involving pain relief on the vertebrae:
- Relax on all fours;
- From the previous position, you need to bend your back up, and then bend down;
- “Stretching step”. Standing on all fours, sit on the right limb, and pull the left limb back, while with the right hand you need to stretch forward. Then you should change legs;
- “Pumping”. Get on your knees with your palms on the floor. Try to stretch your torso forward as much as possible, do not tear your knees and palms off the floor;
- Lie with your back on the floor, hands behind your head, bend your legs. Rest your chin on your chest, bend the body, tearing your shoulder blades off the floor and touching your knees with your elbows;
- Lying on your back, raise the pelvis as high as possible, lower while inhaling.
The Bubnovsky technique involves the implementation of certain elements on special simulators, selected individually.
Dr. Butrimov suggested his exercise therapy complex against cervical osteochondrosis:
- Tilt your head down, to the side, while reaching up with the crown of your head. Do the movement on one side, then on the other side;
- Lowering your head, make circular turns, trying to stretch your head as much as possible, stretching your neck, do it in both directions;
- Tilting your head to the left, try to look at the floor over your left shoulder.
A set of video exercises for the treatment of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine of Dr. Butrimov :
The basic rule when performing a complex of movements, according to Dr. Butrimov , is the absolute relaxation of the patient, the muscles should be completely relaxed. Only in this way the Exercise therapy course according to the Butrimov method will bring the desired effect.
How to treat the cervicothoracic region with exercise?
It is impossible to completely restore diseased nerves and discs both in a hospital setting and with home workouts. Although with the help of exercise therapy performed at home, you can get rid of symptoms and stop osteochondrosis progression.
First you need to relieve pain with the help of official medicine, then you can begin treatment with gymnastic methods. In addition, you need to eat right, undergo massage procedures, control your posture, sleep on an orthopedic mattress, and walk more.
This basic set of eight exercises is performed while standing with legs apart shoulder-width apart:
- Throw back and tilt your head, freezing in a similar position for 7-10 seconds;
- Lift each shoulder alternately;
- Make turns with your head to the sides to the maximum stop with a 10-second delay at the end point;
- Make alternate bends with your head to your shoulder, while resisting with your palm, resting it on your cheek;
- Do circular rotations with your shoulders;
- Take a hunched position of the body, while simultaneously trying to connect the shoulders, freeze for a few seconds, then relax;
- Side bends of the torso;
- Rest your fists in the area above the lower back, while bending forward, freeze for a while, then relax.
Dizziness often accompanies osteochondrosis damage to the vertebrae in the neck. You can get rid of such symptoms by performing the elements:
- Slow turns of the head to the maximum limit, then freeze for a while, then turn to the opposite limit;
- Slowly tilt your head, lying on your shoulder, look forward, repeat in both directions;
- Slowly lower your head to your chest until your chin touches it.
For preventive purposes, you can perform any of the above elements. In addition, it is necessary to eat properly, control weight, prevent hypodynamia, love swimming, sleep on a special orthopedic mattress, etc.
Patients suffering from osteochondrosis lesions of the cervical collar zone often do not take the doctor’s fears seriously, violating the prescriptions and neglecting the exercise.
Of course, it is impossible to completely cure the disease, but anyone can use training to stop the destructive processes and get rid of osteochondrosis symptoms for a long time .
Exercise plays an extremely important role in the therapeutic process. If you perform them regularly, then the patient’s condition will be noticeably easier.