ankylosing spondylitis in scientific circles , manifests itself in the form of inflammation of the joints of the spine. This disease is dangerous because it can cause complete immobility of the spine.
Despite the fact that this disease has been identified for a long time, the exact causes of its occurrence are still uncertain. But statistics have identified people at risk:
- Male gender.
- People who are genetically predisposed to the disease.
- People with acute infectious diseases.
This disease has four stages. The sooner the treatment of the disease is started, the better for the patient. The main method of treating Bechterew’s disease is exercise therapy, which requires a set of specially designed exercises. They will help reduce the inflammatory process and stop the pain syndrome, which is necessarily manifested in this disease.
Exercises and rules for their implementation
To maintain the normal activity of the spine and various joints, a set of exercises specially designed for this purpose should be performed. For each patient suffering from Bechterew’s disease, his own individual program of physiotherapy exercises is assigned. This happens after a thorough diagnosis, which must be carried out by the attending physician. Based on the stage of the disease and the characteristics of its course, the specialist will select an individual recovery program. The general set of exercises is as follows:
- Sit on a chair.
- Hug your elbows with your palms.
- Fix your hands above the floor surface.
- Along the arm, back and forth, hold the chin, from one elbow to the other.
Repeat 3-4 times
- Position your arms along the body.
- Do shoulder rotations back and forth without bending your elbows.
- Repeat 4 times.
Raise your hands up.
- Put your elbows in your palms.
- Make tilts in different directions.
Repeat 4 times
- Position your arms parallel to the floor.
- Grab your elbows.
- Perform rotational movement of the body in both directions.
Repeat 4 times
- Lean forward.
- Embrace your knees.
- Straighten up.
- Spread your arms as wide as possible.
Repeat 4 times
- Lie on your back.
- Bend your knees.
- Alternately take the legs.
Repeat 4 times at a slow pace
Additional exercises and helpful tips
The above exercises will provide:
- Increasing the strength of muscle tissue.
- Development of mobility.
- functionality of the chest.
- Maintain normal lung capacity.
With Bechterov ‘s disease , axial loads on the spine should be avoided and the following sports and exercises should be excluded:
- Exercises on treadmills.
If you experience severe pain during sports, you should immediately reduce the load. Fruitful in the treatment of this disease are:
- Yoga classes.
Classes are best done in the morning, immediately after waking up. This will help eliminate stiffness of movement. Comprehensive sports activities should be carried out at least three times a week.