Special exercises from the course of therapeutic gymnastics are intended for the prevention and treatment of painful symptoms in osteochondrosis. Exercise consists of simple and natural movements that will help restore normal blood circulation in the damaged tissues of the spine, remove congestive and inflammatory processes.
Osteochondrosis is a natural age-related disease that develops against the background of a decrease in elasticity and damage to intervertebral cartilaginous discs. It is one of the main causes of persistent pain in the neck and lower back.
Causes of osteochondrosis:
- Advanced age.
- Overweight. In this case, the spine is constantly experiencing overload.
- Flatfoot. The spine experiences constant sharp pressure when walking.
- Carrying heavy bags on the shoulder, sleeping on a soft mattress. The load on the spine is unevenly distributed, which leads to its curvature and damage to cartilage.
Therapeutic gymnastics strengthens the muscles of the spine, significantly reducing the load on it, activates metabolic processes and cell renewal in the intervertebral cartilage tissues. This method of treatment of osteochondrosis is known to mankind since ancient times. Ancestral home of fitness exercise is China.
Types of osteochondrosis and recommendations for the implementation of therapeutic exercises
In domestic medicine, it is common to divide the disease according to the spinal lesion site. The cause of pain in the neck is osteochondrosis of the cervical region. Thoracic and lumbar types of the disease develop in the corresponding parts of the spine. For this reason, therapeutic exercises for each type of disease will be different, affecting a specific affected area. Preventive exercise is more versatile. They strengthen the entire muscular system of the spine and prevent the development or exacerbation of the disease.
For the effectiveness of therapeutic effects of the course of exercise, it is necessary to correctly perform all movements from the proposed complex. To do this, you must conduct your first classes under the constant supervision of a physician. The specialist will be able to give the necessary recommendations and verify the correctness of the exercise. Having mastered the technique of recreational gymnastics movements, classes can be held at home. In this case, you should regularly visit a doctor who will be able to track the positive dynamics of your workouts or make adjustments to the medical complex.
Recommendations for performing wellness exercises:
- During the period of exacerbation of the disease or with severe pain, exercise should be stopped until the doctor permits.
- Your classes should not cause increased pain in the neck or lower back. If after a workout pain increases, you should reduce the load and amplitude of movements.
- Performing movements with tension of the spinal muscles should be alternated with exercises to relax the muscles.
- Movement during class should be smooth and careful. Sudden jerks will do more harm than good.
Treatment of causes of neck pain with gymnastic exercises
Medical gymnastics will help get rid of the root cause the pains in the neck. Smooth exercises from the complex will strengthen the neck muscles and gradually restore intervertebral tissues.
Training for the treatment of the cervical spine:
- Tilts the head to the shoulders. Bend your head to the shoulder, hold in this position for 7-10 seconds. Raise the head back and perform the movement to the other shoulder. If the state of health allows and pain is absent, the load can be increased. Head tilt can be pushed by hand.Make 15 bends to each shoulder.
- Head tilts forward. Performed the same as exercise above, only the head leans forward and leans back.
- Turns the head to the side. Turn your head to the side and reach your chin to the shoulder. Fix the position of the head for 10 seconds. Return to the original position and perform a turn in the other direction. Make 15 turns to each shoulder.
- Head elevation lying on the floor. Tear off the head from the floor for 7-10 seconds and slowly lower it back. Do 10 times.
- Raising the head with chin stretching. Tear off the head from the floor, pull the chin up as much as possible. Fix the position for 10 seconds and lower the head back.
Remember: circular movements of the head for patients with osteochondrosis are contraindicated. This can cause exacerbation of the disease, pinching the nerve and cause acute pain in the neck.
Exercise for the chest and lumbar
All therapeutic exercises for effects on the thoracic spine are performed while standing.
- Stand straight, relax the muscles of the shoulders and back. Strongly bend your back out (hunched). Shoulders lead inside. Stay in this position for 10 seconds. Then straighten, spread your shoulders wide and lay your head back. Fix position for 10 seconds. Run 10 times.
- Raise the shoulders as far as possible, pull them to the head. Do the exercise 10 times. Then lift the shoulders in turn another 10 times.
- Circular movements of the shoulders. Make 10 turns forward. Then 10 turns back.
- Torso torso to the sides. Stand straight, relax the muscles of the back and arms. Bend the torso to the side, reach the knee with your fingers. Fix position for 10 seconds. Return to the original position. Make 10 bends in each direction.
- Arching the back. Put your hands in the back and bend the body strongly forward. Then release the pressure and stoop. Perform the exercise 10-15 times.
Wellness center for the lumbar:
- Body tilts forward. Stand straight, tilt the torso forward, keeping your back straight. Then straighten up and deflect the torso as far back as possible. Do 10 times.
- The slopes of the body to the side. Performed in the same way as the exercise above, only the slopes are performed to the sides.
- Back bends on all fours. Get on all fours and bend your back as much as possible. Fix the position for 10 seconds and return to the starting position. Do 10 times.
- Tension of the spinal muscles lying on the floor. Lie down smoothly, relax your back muscles. Tighten the abdominal muscles, and push your back into the floor. Maintain muscle tension for 10 seconds. Relax, rest 5 seconds and do another 10-15 times.
- After performing physical exercises of this complex, it is necessary to completely relax the back muscles and lie down for 5-7 minutes. Gymnastics classes are performed daily, and they do not take more than 15-20 minutes. Regular exercise will help get rid of osteochondrosis – the main causes of pain in the neck and lower back.