Sciatica is rightfully considered one of the most common diseases . This ailment has become so popular that many treat it at home on their own, without wasting time visiting the clinic.
Many folk remedies are known to help successfully cope with this disease. And modern technologies allow you to treat sciatica without visiting medical institutions.
Treatment of sciatica at home
Home anti- radiculitis therapy consists of the following actions and procedures:
- The first days after the attack, complete rest is shown;
- Subsequently, various ointments with a warming effect, rubbing, compresses, warming, etc. are applied;
- Wearing warming belts or woolen shawls;
- Therapeutic and gymnastic complex;
- Massage procedures.
How to treat the cervical and lumbar spine
To eliminate painful symptoms in cervical and lumbar radiculitis, they often resort to anti-inflammatory drugs like Diclofenac, Ibuprofen, Indomethacin, Ketoprofen, Naproxen , etc.
Sometimes they use the latest generation of drugs like Nise ( Nimesulide ) or Movalis . To reduce the side reactions of the body to NSAIDs, the use of gastrointestinal tract protectors such as Pantoprazole or Omeprazole is indicated .
Often, doctors also prescribe combined drugs that have a complex therapeutic effect. For example, chondroprotective and anti-inflammatory action ( Arthrodar , etc.), analgesic and nourishing with vitamins ( Neurodiclovitis , etc.).
In some cases, analgesic therapy is supplemented with drugs of a different effect, such as sedatives, vitamin preparations, decongestants or vasodilators.
Home therapy for radiculopathy is acceptable in cases of:
- When sciatica has arisen due to muscle stretching during intense training or strenuous physical activity, dragging weights, etc.;
- The cause of the attack of radiculitis was a banal hypothermia;
- When pain symptoms in the affected area are caused not by radiculopathy , but by muscle pain;
- When there is no increase in pain syndrome during movement;
- When there are no symptoms such as high fever, goose bumps, numbness, etc.;
- When the painful symptoms of sciatica are only in the paravertebral zone and does not tend to spread more widely;
- When there are no complications associated with functional disorders of other organs.
When not desirable
Experts strongly advise against self-medication at home in such clinical cases:
- When sciatica has developed against the background of muscle myositis, scoliotic deformities, infectious-inflammatory or oncological pathologies;
- If the disease has arisen as a result of degenerative-dystrophic processes such as spondylitis, spondyloarthritis, arthrosis or hernial protrusions ;
- When trauma or fractures are the cause of radiculopathy .
In addition, it is categorically impossible to treat sciatica at home with pronounced symptoms:
- When the pain syndrome does not let go for a crescent or more;
- There are motor restrictions, muscle spasms;
- When there is a painful lumbago that increases in intensity after movement or muscle tension;
- If the pain syndrome acquires a more extensive localization, going beyond the affected area;
- If sciatica is accompanied by sensations of numbness, tingling, or goose bumps;
- With dysfunction of any organs;
- At high temperatures;
- When symptoms of weakness of tendon reflexes and muscle tissue are present;
- The presence of acute classical symptoms that determine lumbosacral radiculopathy .
There are many popular recipes to help cope with sciatica. Often they turn out to be even more effective than traditional therapeutic methods, but it is not worthwhile to treat sciatica on your own.
It is possible to resort to such techniques only after a medical consultation.
In the treatment of sciatica, various means are used:
- Pepper plasters and mustard plasters;
- Essential oils;
- Rubs and compresses;
- Bee products ;
- Salt, etc.
Here are some time-tested recipes that have proven effective.
- For a warming effect, you need to apply mustard plasters or pepper plaster to the inflamed area.
- The horseradish root is rubbed and stirred with water until creamy. The mass is laid out on a dense fabric and laid on it with an inflamed place for about 20 minutes , while you need to cover yourself with a warm towel.
- Facilitate state at radiculopathy peppermint oil and eucalyptus. They need to be mixed with olive oil and rubbed into the inflamed area.
- Incredibly effective in the treatment of sciatica burdock. Its leaves are washed and kneaded into porridge, then the mass is spread over the area of inflammation and wrapped with a towel or scarf overnight. Raw materials can be successfully noticed with horseradish leaves.
- Compresses and rubbing are very helpful in relieving pain. You can rub the affected area with tincture of red pepper, make warm compresses with herbal decoctions based on thyme, chamomile, St. John’s wort or linden.
- Beekeeping products effectively eliminate the symptoms of radiculitis. Honey is actively used for treatment, it is rubbed in during massage procedures, applied to a pepper patch or mustard plasters. The bees themselves also treat sciatica. The positive effects of bee venom on inflamed areas have been scientifically proven. Beeswax is used for warming applications on the affected area.
- The bath procedure has a positive effect on the patient’s condition, but it cannot be carried out with severe pain syndrome. It is necessary to consult a doctor about the possibility of such treatment.
- The most, perhaps, the simplest way of folk treatment of sciatica is saline heating. Regular edible salt is heated in a frying pan, and then folded into a bag and placed on the affected area and covered with a blanket.
A very effective way to treat radiculopathy is to wear a belt made of natural wool (camel, dog or sheep).
Such belts do not allow cold or moisture to pass through, do not give a greenhouse effect.
This is a kind of natural physiotherapy, in which the patient’s own body acts as a source of healing heat, and the belt simply does not allow heat transfer.
This warming helps to relax the muscle tissue and relieves painful sensations.
Such belts from animal wool can be made independently or purchased at a pharmacy.
- The cost of a dog’s fur belt will cost about 450-800 rubles;
- Sheep wool – about 750 rubles;
- Camel wool – 550-800 rubles.
Often in the treatment of radiculopathy , other belts are also used, for example, magnetic or polypropylene. Magnetic products relieve soreness, warm and normalize blood supply. The elasticated waistbands also provide a warming effect.
- The average cost of a magnetic product is 500-700 rubles;
- An elastic belt will cost 300-500 rubles.
Physiotherapy exercises are capable of lifting even very difficult patients to their feet. To alleviate the condition and eliminate radiculitis symptoms, you need to perform the simplest set of elements:
- Raising straightened legs;
- Bend your legs, pulling them with your hands from the abdomen;
- Raising the pelvis, resting on the soles of bent legs and shoulder blades;
- Stretch the socks, trying to reach the back of the bed;
- Gymnastic elements on an inclined board ( Evminov’s simulator ), etc.
Massage procedures cope well with radiculitis pain symptoms. With sciatica, various types of massage are performed: classic, canned, honey, Chinese, acupressure, etc.
Point massage technique is especially effective. Its specificity is based on the impact at the points located near the nerve endings.
Thanks to this effect, a reflex transmission of the necessary signals to the spine occurs. As a result, pain intensity is reduced and muscle tone is eliminated.
If the clinical picture of the pathology is characterized by the presence of acute symptoms of a painful nature, then the use of drug treatment for radiculitis with the help of specialized drugs is shown :
- Anesthetics are used to block pain;
- If muscle spasms become the cause of the pain syndrome, then muscle relaxants will help, helping to reduce muscle tone;
- Anti-inflammatory steroid or non-steroidal drugs;
- Traditional medicines like analgin, paracetamol or aspirin can also help stop pain, but it is better to give preference to modern NSAIDs.
How to quickly heal an acute attack of pain
To quickly eliminate pain symptoms, they resort to using anti-inflammatory drugs.
These funds, in addition to the analgesic effect, ensure the elimination of the inflammatory focus. Anti-inflammatory medicines used for radiculopathy come in the form of ointments, tablets, or injections.
Injections are most effective (more about them here), since the active drug penetrates directly into the site of localization of the inflammatory process. The best in this group are: Ketonal , Voltaren , Naklofen , Diclofenac.
To eliminate muscle spasm, muscle relaxants are used , they relax the skeletal muscles, and in combination with NSAIDs, they almost instantly eliminate the symptoms of sciatica. Most often, when radiculopathy appointed baclofen , tizanidine, Mydocalm . In addition, blockade with Lidocaine or Novocaine will help to quickly relieve pain.
After removing the acute syndrome, it is imperative to consult a doctor, since sciatica can easily return again. It is necessary to undergo comprehensive treatment and eliminate the causes of the disease, then the risk of recurrence of an exacerbation will be minimal.